Dorset Coast 200km Audax

Submitted by Francis Jordan on Tue, 04/03/2012 - 17:41
Forums

10 1/4 hours cycling, 132 miles, 8830' ascent, 12.88mph and we are still alive!
Clive and I set off with 190 other athletes for our first Audax on Sunday from Wareham in Dorset. The group set off at a brisk 18mph cruising speed to Sandbanks where we boarded the 8.39 ferry to Studland. Once in the Purbecks the cycling crowd dissipated in the hills beyond Corfe Castle. Our speed also waned but we eventually reached the breakfast stop and control point at Weymouth at around 11 (photo). As you can see it was a beautiful day and we still look fresh. We were running late but we were told it was not a race. I knew and felt prepared for some of the hills by Abbotsbury above Chesil Beach towards Bridport but we were both astonished by the climbs around the vale of Marshwood. White Hill lane is nothing compared to the Dorset rollercoasters. Lunch was laid on at Axminster. It was teatime for us! We left at 4.30 for the Dorchester leg confident in the knowledge that we had only two major hills to deal with. Sector Lane and Uploders. Our overall average speed dropped from13.9mph pre lunch to 12.4 but we were moving also by then we were used to the hills! After the Dorchester control point and kit kat break we switched our lights on to shine our way on the last leg back to Wareham. By then we were pretty tired and fed up of Dorset and cycling. Still the road past the Bovington tank museum is quite good and reasonnably flat but long, very long! By the time we reached Wareham Quay it was after 9pm. The first to complete the non-race made it back to Wareham by 4pm! It was a fantastic day. Sunshine, no wind, good company, superb views and for me a trip down memory lane as I used to live in poole in 1976-78. Thanks Clive. I am booking the 2013 trip. Francis