Our Summer Time Trial series runs from May through August/early September each year on Wednesday evenings. We use one course: GS338. At the end of the Series, prizes are awarded to the winners of the Scratch and Handicap competition and also to the best riders in the Vets, Womens and young rider categories. The Series is open to non-RCC club members and beginners.
GS338 - Horne - May to August/September
Our TTs take place on course GS338: 8.85m over 3 laps of the Newchapel (Horne) circuit near Smallfield.
The start is adjacent to the Horne Park Golf Club in Croydonbarn Lane, Godstone. The course is anti-clockwise left into Bones Lane, left into Brickhouse Lane and finally left into Croydonbarn Lane again. The course can be viewed on Strava by following the link below.
- Registration takes place in the Golf Club car park.
- If you are coming by car, please park in the right hand section away from the club house. The postcode for the Club is: RH9 8JP and the What3Words locator is: agreed.next.crisp.
- Prior to each event of the Series sign-on and first-off times (which vary throughout the season) will be published on Instagram @Redhillccroad. The results will also be published on the same site.
Rules and Entry Fee
The Series is run in accordance with Cycling Time Trials (CTT) rules and regulations, which can be found here: https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/articles/view/11
Key points taken from both the CTT and RCC requirements are:
- Riders must sign on and wear a race number;
- Riders must wear helmets;
- Riders must not wear black or dark coloured clothing;
- And bikes must be fitted with a working rear light.
Our Time Trials are “Come and Try it” events so non-members and beginners are welcome, this relatively traffic-free course being a good introduction for beginners.
Juniors (16-18 years) are welcome but must provide the written consent of a parent/guardian in order to enter. Juveniles (12-16 years) are also welcome but must be accompanied by a parent/guardian.
The entry fee for each round is £4 (£3 for registered RCC members and Juveniles are free).
Numbers are limited on any night by safety and logistics considerations. Note the 'first come, first served' stipulation above.
In the scratch competition, points are awarded according to fastest actual time (i.e. no handicap). In each round, the fastest rider gets 10 points, second fastest 9 points, etc. down to 1 point for the tenth fastest rider. Only the best 5 rounds for each rider count. The purpose of this restriction is to open up the competition to those members who are unable to race every week.
In the handicap competition, points are awarded according to best improvement. In each round, the rider posting the biggest improvement gets 10 points, second fastest 9 points, etc. down to 1 point for the tenth fastest rider. As with the scratch competition, only the best 5 rounds for each rider will count.