Sportive for choice 2015

Submitted by rickgregory on Fri, 01/30/2015 - 11:45

Since our own RCC/YMCA Redhill Rollercoaster Sportive will not be run in 2015, it does seem to be worthwhile looking if there are any local Sportives that it would be nice to have an RCC "presence" at.

While ones like the Reigate Rouleur and other commercially run Sportives are OK, IMO it would be nice to try and support Sportives run for/by charities (local if possible).

Trawling through the vast number of Sportives available for "local" events ("local" meaning <50 miles from RH1, as there appear to be fewer in Surrey this year than in previous years), I came up with the following list of charity events offered from March to September. It is not exhaustive (there are too many lists) and I have only included those which you can enter with either no or little sponsorship (just an entry fee).

Here is the link to my list:>

http://1drv.ms/1JOj7mC

The events are fairly evenly spread over the summer with the exception of August (when there are none, possibly because of the Prudential London ride) and May 10 and May 17 when there are a lot (you might be better off skipping those dates  - and maybe joining the wonderful G2 Isle of Wight tour on the 16/17th instead!).

There are short ones, long ones, flattish ones, hilly ones and some long hilly ones. There is also a Women only event (June 7), a multi day event and a stage event (including a TT).

Personally, my early season targets are the Fool's Errand on April 12 (if the cap fits!) and the San Fairy Ann on May 4 (which we have often supported before).

Any comments on the approach or the Sportives suggested?

P.S. Don't forget the usual BHF Nutfield to Brighton on June 21