Social media reports of RCC rider killing a puppy

Submitted by adewebb on Wed, 06/25/2014 - 21:55
Forums

Thanks to everyone who has sent me links to posts on various facebook pages and blogs about a bike rider - reported in some as definitely being a Redhill rider - killing a 12 week old puppy on the foot and cycle path adjacent to Royal Earlswood Park.

The original post is not from the family who were there during the incident but a friend who reports about finding the rider and bringing them to justice. It has unleashed some vitriolic comments against cyclists and the rider involved.

One post says that police know about the incident and that it is a Redhill rider.

I called Surrey Police tonight to ascertain the truth of the situation. They had a report of a puppy hit by a bike on the path who subsequently died. They say that in the report, the rider stopped, spoke to the owner, showed concern and recommend they go to a vet ASAP.

It appears the puppy was very young (dogs shouldn't really be out on long leads aged 12 weeks) and may have gone under the wheel of a rider on the bike side of the path.

I have put up a few posts in key places where this is being shared expressing our concern and sympathy however, it is important to note that the police were made aware and that despite the comments, the rider clearly didn't deliberately run over and kill a puppy, nor did the puppy die at the scene but from injuries from the collision.

The family themselves don't appear to have posted anything and the posts are from a friend who has added in some interpretation.

From a club point of view, I would recommend avoiding this footpath for a while as you may encounter people who have read about this episode and make their own judgements about Redhill riders.

Adrian