New Garmin Tech for The Gadget Cyclists (Edge 1000)

Submitted by david.townsend on Sun, 05/18/2014 - 10:50
Forums

Garmins new Edge 1000 GPS is now out this week. I enclose a quick review of what I think are the main points:

1. Its a lot larger screen so you can actually see the roads now actually use it for navigating.

2. The user interface is the best yet. You no longer need a PHD in gadgets to work it. Menus are clear and the whole lot has been simplified (e.g. bike profiles now removed instead the Edge knows what sensors it finds on your bike and uses that)

3. It has Wifi now so new updates now come down automatically over the air when you get home if firmware update has occurred

4. Great connectivity to the iPhone (Android coming soon). It has live track a feature that was in 810 as well so friends can track you on your ride real time (it report back feet climbed, speed and av speed) and show and update position on map to a web site your misses monitors :). It also reports back weather from the local weather station on the Edge unit (ours is Gatwick) in one hour intervals including wind speed and direction (now that has to be better than Adrian's BBC :) ) that was also with Edge 810. It will also upload directly into Garmin Connect (but not Strava you have to manually update into that and connect Edge to computer using USB cable)

5. It will now report on incoming calls and text messages received on the phone while you ride. You cannot answer them but you can see who is calling you or has text you. It will show full name if you have that person name in your phone address book. e.g. Text from Adrian Web or Call from Adrian Web rather than the phone number which would not be much use

6. Maps are good. It is no longer the Europe City maps instead used is the Garmin cycle map which I believe also covers whole Europe. They are a lot more detailed showing a lot more info than Edge 810 maps. e.g. It shows road names now.

7. Has a nice feature for courses. Basically Garmin have combined their touring GPS into The Edge 1000. So you can now say create me a round trip course to follow starting from where I am now for xx miles. You specify how many miles you want to do and it create you a route on the Edge unit to follow returning back to where you started. It is meant to be cycle friendly but I have not tested that out to prove if that is the case. I could see myself using this if I was in an area new to me and I wanted to go for a cycle not knowing the area at all.

8. It has a calendar so can see activity etc.. by date

9. Garmin are trying to compete with Strava and now have segments. I think this will never take off as Strava is far too established in the market. I have not tried this out yet but it is meant to work that as soon as you hit a segment (you have to download the segments you like into the unit) Garmin will alert you. You can then use virtual partner to pace you up the hill from your previous best. Its a nice feature but let down by the fact that its Garmin Connect and not Strava here and it then reports back real time when you finish the segment how you did. (again not tried this out yet)

10. It can use the GLONASS satellites something Edge 810 cannot do. In laymans terms it means you get a very quick lock onto GPS. I am talking a few seconds rather than waiting about a minute. Battery life is reduced if you do this but unlikely to ever be an issue because the battery life is 15 hours.

11. New heart rate monitor strap. It has larger connectivity area and a part at the side that you should wet as well. I guess this is to reduce the spiking but I had no issues with old strap really if you use electrode gel.

12. It will now connect to Shimino Di2 wireless flight deck type sensor so can display what gear you are in graphically. (I know completely pointless but its all gadgets so yep I have one LOL)

13. Its compatible with the optional extra Garmin handlebar remote control unit (one is on order). Allows you to start/stop lap and flick screens without moving your hands from the hoods.

14. But the best feature I think so far (and should be able to be used on previous Edge xxx as its just an ANT+ unit) is the new Garmin speed and cadence sensors. These use now an accelerometer. What this means is there are NO magnets used. For speed you connect the unit to the Wheel HUB using a rubber clip band and for cadence same again just loop the rubber band around the crank arm. The magnets have all gone now and it very easy to swap between bikes as no cable ties or magnets are required. The unit knows when the wheel or crank has completed a revolution because of the accelerometer in the unit.

I be at the club Saturday if anyone is interested in new Edge 1000 and be happy to shown you functionality / unit.