G5 go exploring and Leeson gets his timings wrong

Submitted by Peter Farnfield on Sun, 04/06/2014 - 12:08

In Brian Costello's absence at the Tour of Flanders where I understand he had some dramatic moments it fell to Peter F to lead the ride. Suggesting that we go south to explore a loop east of Haywards Heath towards Lewes seem to have some support so we set off directly south with a good crowd in tow comprising Peter F, Stuart G, Barry (with beard and a new rider with G5), Chris Grant, Simon Webster, Calvin, Leeson, Chris Stone, Norman Blisset and Angus - I never wear leggings or long sleeved shirts - welcome back.
My style of leading relies more on feel/sun/intuition rather than maps so apologies to the group for some late calls or about turns. Anyway heading south is pretty easy and when we hit Lindfield Calvin suggested Dolly's for coffee. Good idea it's just come out of a change of manage to and a refurb of the tea rooms and thus a change to check that all was still well with this favourite watering hole.

Approaching Ditchling Leeson piped up that he had to be home by noon; problem was that it was 10:45 and we'd come 29 miles already and Leeson lives near Caterham. Furthermore he said that he didn't know where he was. So no coffee for him then. He left us in Ditchling with the proverbial smoke coming off his back wheel. If anyone could get back in time for lunch (entertaining guests so a three line whip in place from Mrs M I guess) then no one would bet against the Medhurst legs. (Checking his Strava stream later I can see that a number of PBs were made but it must have been a quick shower and change nonetheless).
The rest of us cycled east on the B2116 towards Plumpton. Calvin chose to turn left up Plumpton Lane to Plumpton Green, and then North Chailey before turning left on the A272 to Scaynes Hill - a good drag - and then back to Hayward's Heath and home via the same route. (On looking on the map today I realise that there is a good route back from Scaynes Hill to Horsted Keynes and West Hoathly that we'll have to leave to another time) With the southerly now striaght on our backs we made good progress and I was delighted by the number of PBs notched up on my own Strava log thanks to much hard riding by Calvin and others. All in all about 64 miles and circa 3,000 ft of climbing. Thanks one and all for a great ride.