"It's not about the bike"...a note to newcomers...

Submitted by rccadmin on Sun, 04/11/2010 - 13:14
Forums

That was the title of Lance Armstrong's incredible first book and it had more than one meaning but the first, perhaps...

DON'T GET HUNG UP ON EQUIPMENT!! It's the miles that matter, don't worry too much about machinery. Think about muscles.

I'm passionate about new people entering the sport but I hear from time to time, that 'cycling is expensive'. IT DOESN'T NEED TO BE!

Manufacturers want your money but their persuasive advertising can seriously affect your mental state and pedalling prospects...and certainly your pocket. Having the best and latest gear really doesn't matter...until or unless you can stay with our top racers for more than a few miles!

The build quality of even a £500 road bike nowadays is amazing. But the cycling industry will make you want the latest in everything, from helmets to heart rate monitors. A good quality Bell helmet with the CE EN 1078 safety standard can cost from as little as £20 but it's easy to part with five times that for much the same thing. New wrist watch heart rate monitors can be found on ebay for £9.99. Bolle cycling sunglasses can be found for £6.99.

Three years ago I bought two Saracen bikes...some people sniggered! They're pretty ordinary. One was a touring bike with mudguards, which is still my winter 'training hack'. That cost £279. The other was much the same but without the guards and cost £440. (you can pay ten times that for a pair of wheels). I am NOT saying this to show off but on those basic but strong bikes I have ridden dozens of TT's and sportives...and won golds. Later I treated myself to some flashier gear, there's not much difference!

The bottom line is this: expensive gear isn't where great performance comes from. Hard work on the road (or turbo) is what matters most. And you will see this demonstrated as regular riders glide past you on sometimes quite ancient bikes. Many of our club TT records still stand from years ago, on steel bikes...before carbon frames and flat spokes were invented.

If you have the storage space...and the money, it is really helpful to have a 'training bike' and an 'events bike'. The training bike can be something low tech (easy to repair and easy to get parts), with heavier tyres and mudguards. This is your bike for bashing out the miles, in all weathers. Your 'events bike' will then always be clean, the chain and bearings will not be worn and on those special days, you will fly!

Wondering about gear? Ask here! Our experienced members will always be keen to answer your questions...before you spend your money. Redhill has dozens of hugely experienced riders who will happily help you.