Air Ambulance called!

Submitted by phil101 on Sun, 08/16/2009 - 22:36
Forums

A rider was injured on the Woodcote Trailbreak event on Saturday.He was not a member of this club. He had come off at some speed and was sitting on the ground hunched up with people saying they had phoned Trailbreak. Myself and another RCC member stopped and we were soon joined by 2 other RCC members.It was very very stressful.We called 999 direct after some faffing about by myself as it was very unclear if a 999 call had actually been made. We had some foil blankets with us and put them around the casualty and some basic first aid and reassurance given. Paramedic and air ambulance on site about 40mins after our call.Believed dislocation and fracture somewhere in the arm.

What did I learn:I need to know more about first aid AND incident management. What went well:-1) having one person who knew what they were doing take charge and guide/direct others 2) Foil blankets, the casualty was going into shock and was cold despite being a warm day in mid summer. More blankets would be needed usually as all of us standing around were cooling fast and only OK as it was a very warm day.3)We had an OS map of the area and also a sat nav and we were able to establish our position (this is where I was in panic mode)Although a man with initiative (RCC member) had cycled along to the nearest road, stopped a car and asked what road it was and got it written down to avoid confusion, good move.

What could be done better: 1) quicker call to 999 once the need is established and do not wait till exact position is worked out. 2)need to make the call from where the casualty is so the emergency services can ask questions and give advice. To this end everybody should carry a phone so better chance of at least one having network coverage.
I somehow allowed the casualty's friend to help him stand up which was not a good idea as he could easily have then collapsed. We did prevent him drinking anything.
It was very stressful as casualty was in extreme pain and going into shock.

Other factors: As I chatted to the guy he told me it was his local trail but today he was going faster than usual to keep up with his companion, perhaps therefore riding beyond his comfortable speed.
He may have been dehydrated as his drink bottle was nearly full and we were about half way into the ride.He was carrying no first aid, foil blanket or even a waterproof top which could have provided some warmth. I was very relived to see the paramedics the wait in these circumstances is such along wait.

While we all want to 'just ride our bikes' we also need to make some preparations in case bad things do happen.

I am still reflecting on the events and working out lessons to be learnt.
I am a lot happier when I am riding with people who take a realistic and practical view on safety.