Website - 'General News' Content Type

Submitted by rccadmin on Sat, 04/04/2009 - 13:06
Forums

The club website has several content types, the most important of which is 'event'. Everything else is event-orientated, e.g. uploaded images are linked to an event; results are added for an event, etc.

Likewise for the 'article' type - each article must be linked to an event. A better name for 'article' would in fact be 'event report' - according to how the website was designed.

The reason I deleted Russell's article a few weeks ago was really a technical one: it was not an event report, so didn't fit into the 'event report' content type.

To cut to the chase, what I am going to do is add a 'general news' content type, which will be in addition to the 'event report' content type. 'General news' will be a catch all for articles of any kind - news items, newsletters, etc. - that are not event reports. It will be a more free form article and will not be linked to a event. I've done the same thing with the nascent Redhill Raiders site ([url]http://www.redhillraiders.org/[/url]) where you can see event reports listed in the left hand column and general news items in the centre column. I think this works quite well and makes the site clear.

With the effort now to move the website to Drupal (see my other post), I won't actually be adding a 'general news' type to the existing website because the effort wouldn't be worth it. It will be in the new Drupal version of the website. In the meantime - which shouldn't actually be very long - if anyone wants to add non-event report articles they can add them as event reports, and I'll not remove them; once we have moved over to Drupal they can then be created in the right place.