Off Road Q&A
Will I be able to keep up?
There is always a Back Marker to prevent riders being left behind. If the ride is beyond your ability, you may not be the only one and someone will accompany you on an alternative route. After a few rides, you’ll soon find your fitness levels improves. As a general rule, if you are able to cycle up Wray Lane to Reigate Hill without being too exhausted, then you’ll be fine for the ride. If Wray Lane is too much of a challenge, you may want to ride a bit more on your own or look out for our Intermediate rides.
Will anyone talk to me?
Redhill Cycling Club is a very sociable group where some good friendships have been made. You will certainly not be ignored and the leaders like to get to know everyone on their ride, apart from chatting during the ride there is always the tea stop.
Is my bike good enough?
When buying a Mountain Bike, spend what you can afford. During the winter with the muddy conditions a budget bike won’t last as long as a more expensive one. If your bike has not been used for a while, it would be worth getting it serviced. Some cycle shops offer a discount to Redhill Cycling Club members. We all had to start somewhere and there is no shame in setting out on a budget bike to see how you enjoy the off road cycling.
What happens if I get a puncture?
Everyone gets a puncture from time to time, by riding together the group will wait while you repair it. If you are not sure how to remove a wheel and change the tube, it is worth watching how the others do it. There are always people on hand to help out if you get stuck.
Is there an age restriction?
There is no upper age limit, in fact we have a wide range of ages represented. Unfortunately we cannot accommodate anyone under 16 unless they are accompanied by a parent or guardian.
What equipment should I take?
- Cycle helmet
- Spare inner tube and tyre levers
- Reliable pump
- Tools to remove the wheel nuts if you do not have quick release hubs
- Proper clothing and footwear for the conditions
- A water bottle or backpack with something refreshing in it
- Some money for the tea stop or a snack bar if you do not wish to buy a cake
- Mobile phone. The leader carries a mobile phone and their numbers are available on the ride calendar
- Identification card - if something happens to you, it would be helpful to have some contact details available in case of an emergency
- Extra equipment such as a first aid kit, patches for additional punctures, and further tools may also prove useful.
What happens if I have an accident?
Occasionally accidents do happen. The advantage of riding with a group is that there are others to rally round to ensure that all the needs are met.
Do the rides get cancelled if there is bad weather?
We have never cancelled an off road ride due to the weather, however we will not cycle if there is lightning. With the right equipment a bit of rain is usually not a problem and cycling in the snow can be quite exhilarating. Having said this we do tend to get fewer riders if poor weather is forecast. If you are joining us for the first time you may wish to choose a good day.
Where do the rides start from?
The start point for the rides varies so we can make full use of the surrounding countryside. It is better if you can ride to the start point so that you are warmed up before the ride, but a number of people drive if it is too far to cycle. Make a note of the Leader’s mobile number in case you get delayed. The Start points are shown on the ride calendar and maps to each place can be found here.
Do you do any other rides?
The Saturday rides are the regular weekly events, and we do occasionally offer some alternatives.
- Cross-Country Rides - These are aimed for those who want something less arduous than the normal Trail rides and are a good introduction
- Day Trips - to places like Swinley Forest or the South Downs
- Weekends Away - to Wales and the purpose built mountain biking tracks
The more experienced riders have taken part in:
- Evans TrailBreak rides
- Gorrick Races
- Trans Wales
There is also a social evening on the first Friday of each month.
Still not sure?
Then have a look at some of the ride reports and photos on our web site. They should give you a better picture and we look forward to welcoming you on a ride soon. If you have further questions feel free to contact us.