Greetings from Switzerland

Submitted by rccadmin on Mon, 08/11/2008 - 23:29
Forums

Now we're settled in just in thought I'd let you know how we're getting on. Well the biking is great! Those who know me know I love big hills, and there's a good selection round here. I did Col de la Croix (1700m) soon after the snow melted on the race bike, and last week did it again on the tandem with Heather in the trailer! That was hard!
We've chosen to live near a forest well above the lake and Vevey where I work. I'm trying to commute by bike 3 or 4 times a week, which means a refreshing 30mph 10 min commute in the morning and sweaty 30 min climb in the evening. It's a cracking ride, first through an old village, then through vinyards and then forest and fields and views to the mountains. About 5.8 miles and 400m climb.
I've done a couple of races, both hillclimbs. A local one for all ages including elite, about 750 m climb, I was a bit surprised by the standard, but I did beat about 5 people! Another one was bigger, about 100 riders, 1000m climb over 18km, I came in about 25th.
However the local bike clubs aren't up to much, they mainly seem to be shells for a handful of elite racers who may not even wear their club colours. And yet the roads are full of keen cyclists. I don't get it!
My MTB has had a few excurions into the local forests as well, while we've done a lot of rides on the tandem with the trailer. We have a good selection of routes, with several 'flattish' options to points of interest for Heather, such as goats! Maybe next year she'll be able to do some peddling herself...

Regards to everyone in the club, looks like the club is going strong!

Darrell, Ali and Heather